Sunday, August 11, 2013

Robot Arm WIP 1

I thought I had created a work in progress post about this already, but I have been a lot more work in Zbrush and particularly with hard surface sculpting and using the Dynamesh feature with Zbrush 4R5. I decided to make a challenge for myself so I picked the most interesting piece of machinery that I could. These are the arms that are used to work on cars and do other repetitive tasks in assembly lines of factories. I have got to the stage of created a low res mesh and baking the normals with xNormal. I never knew the power of xNormal but I am very happy with the results, as I don't have to worry about the UV correlation between the high res and low res mesh, only the low res. The object is currently 3,194 tris and 1,589 verts. This was down from about a 15-25 million poly mesh in Zbrush. :) Here are the screenshots, from the Zbrush viewport and in Marmoset Toolbag:
-Jonathan