Sunday, October 28, 2007

Practice Levels

Okay, so I've been working with the Valve Hammer editor for a few months now and have managed to build 2 test levels. One of them is set in a prison shower room and there are zombie npc's that are hidden around the corners and are triggered whenever the player walks past. There is a boarded door, in which all the boards must be broken to advance to the next room. The rest is incomplete, as it was my first map and I didn't really have a good concept to follow.
The second level is a complex house in which every room represents a different aesthetic: industrial, hospital, horror movie, construction, old 50's decor, cave, modern/abstract, laboratory. These are all contained in the shell of a modern-type house on the exterior in the middle of the forest at night. I was trying to make the rooms and dimensions as realistically proportional as possible- because most gamesdon't include fine details such as closets in each bedroom of a house, junky rooms with lots of props, or light switches and wall outlets on textures. From the start of production I realized that the game world and reality are different in that players like to have a lot of room to maneuver and take cover from enemies. For this reason, I found it hard to stage a battle sequence in the house because there wasn't really any good places to fight. The house would serve more as an ammunition reservoir to recover from a recent battle and gain background information about the world.
Here are some screenshots of each level:

Prison



House







I realize that the lighing in each is a little dark (I was experimenting with moody and colored lights but I had a play tester run through them and would always revert to using the flashlight. I will make sure and fix this in future levels.

No comments: